****UPDATED 27 JUNE 2021 – LEVEL 4****
On 27 June 2021, President Cyril Ramaphosa confirmed that South Africa will be heading for level 4 restrictions to help fight against COVID-19 infections and support the country during the third wave. With current restrictions put in place, there have been many questions about the regulations around domestic workers in level 4 and other cleaning professionals during Alert Level 4. Chief Operating Officer of SweepSouth, Luke Kannemeyer offers his insights.
THE RULES, CLEAR AND SIMPLE:
- Domestic workers in level 4 are still able to safely travel from and to work & SweepSouth bookings are still able to take place.
- SweepSouth follows strict COVID-19 safety protocols, including promoting safety calls, daily symptom check-ins before each booking & providing safety tips to SweepStars & MORE.
- Safety is the main priority, and citizens are asked to wear a mask that covers their mouth and nose.
- Keep a safe 1.5 meter distance from one another and make sure to wash your hands regularly with either soap or hand sanitizer.
- If you have symptoms it’s important to self-isolate for 10 days. If you have a SweepSouth booking during this time, you can easily cancel your booking and rather contribute towards your SweepStar. Here’s how you can still help your SweepStar during these difficult times – click here.
1. ARE DOMESTIC WORKERS ALLOWED TO WORK IN LEVEL 4?
The answer is yes. Domestic workers are allowed to safely work during level 4. It is important during this time to make sure that safety protocols are put in place to help the fight against COVID-19.
2. CAN I USE A CLEANING, HOME OR GARDEN SERVICE?
Cleaning, home and sanitation services are permitted during Alert Level 4. You can book any home service for your home. It’s important to be safe during these bookings.
3. WHAT IF I PREFER MY DOMESTIC WORKER NOT COME TO WORK DURING LEVEL 4?
We would strongly urge you to continue supporting your domestic employees during this difficult time. It’s also important to take note, that more than ever, according to our fourth annual SweepSouth Report on Pay and Working Conditions for Domestic Workers Across Africa domestic workers need our help. The impact of the pandemic had a significant and grim effect on the domestic worker industry. If you feel you need to cancel your booking, make sure you still contribute towards the SweepStar and help them continue making an honest living.