The holidays are over and your kids are heading back to school, which means it’s time to pack their school bags with all the essentials. From homework to snacks, there’s a lot to keep in mind when filling up your child’s backpack. Most kids rely on their backpacks to carry all of their essential school supplies. But what should you put in their backpack to make sure they have everything you need?
We understand that getting it right means making your child’s life easier at school and a gold star on your parenting list, so here are some tips from the SweepSouth team on what to include so that your child is prepared for anything.
Most schools have a stationery list that they give to parents at the start of each school year, but it can be hard to keep track of everything that your child needs. Here is a stationery checklist for kids that will help make sure they have everything they need for school:
- Pencils: Every child needs a good supply of pencils for taking notes and doing classwork. Wood pencils are the best type to get, as they are strong and produce a fine line.
- Pens: Pens are also important for taking notes and doing classwork. Ballpoint pens are the best type to get, as they flow smoothly and don’t smudge.
- Erasers: Erasers are essential for making corrections on papers and in notebooks. Rubber erasers are the best type, as they erase cleanly without damaging the paper.
- Pencil sharpener: A pencil sharpener is necessary for keeping pencils sharpened and ready to use. It’s best to get a hand-held sharpener that can be carried in a school bag.
- Ruler: A ruler is useful for measuring lines and doing precise drawings. A plastic ruler is the best type to get, as it is lightweight and won’t break easily.
- Glue stick: A glue stick is useful for attaching paper to textbooks and other surfaces. It’s best to get a repositionable glue stick so that it can be removed if necessary.
- Scissors: Scissors are essential for cutting paper and fabric. Very young kids’ scissors should have blunt tips and rounded edges for safety.
A Healthy Lunch
What should a healthy lunch for kids contain? While there are countless articles and blog posts offering advice, the truth is that every child is different and will have different nutritional needs. However, there are some general guidelines that can help to ensure that your child’s lunch is nutritious and satisfying.
First, aim for a balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat. This will help to provide sustained energy throughout the day. Second, include a variety of foods from different food groups. This will help to ensure that your child is getting all the nutrients they need. And finally, don’t forget to include a source of water. This will help to keep your child hydrated and prevent them from becoming tired and grumpy.
Textbooks are one of the most important tools that students have at their disposal. Not only do they provide vital information on the topics being studied, but they can also help to organise class notes and serve as a reference for future assignments. However, textbooks can be bulky and cumbersome to carry around, so it’s important to choose wisely when selecting which ones to bring to school. Don’t forget to add a notebook to the mix for your child to take notes when learning.
It’s always a good idea for kids to have extra clothing in their bags at school, in case of accidents or spills. A spare set of clothes, including underwear and socks, can come in handy if your child has an accident or gets caught in the rain. It’s also a good idea to pack a jacket or sweater, even if the weather is warm, as temperatures can drop unexpectedly. If your child is old enough to change their own clothes, make sure they know where everything is and how to put it on. It’s also a good idea to write your child’s name on their clothing, in case it gets lost. By having extra clothing at school, you can be confident that your child will be comfortable and prepared for anything.
Medication And Medical Supplies
It’s always better to be safe than sorry, and that motto is especially true when it comes to medical supplies. You never know when your child might need medical attention at school, so it’s important to make sure that their backpack is stocked with the essentials. At a minimum, your child’s backpack should contain a basic first-aid kit including bandages, antiseptic wipes, and adhesive tape. If your child has any chronic medical conditions such as asthma or allergies, you should also include appropriate medication and/or an emergency action plan from their doctor. By being prepared, you can help ensure that your child will be safe and healthy at school.
So what do you need in your child’s backpack? Obviously, this will vary depending on the age of your child and their individual needs, but we’ve put together a comprehensive list of essentials to get you started. Keep these tips in mind as you pack your child’s bag for the new school year—and enjoy watching them breeze through their day with a smile!