Olive oil is not just a kitchen staple (especially for pasta lovers); it can also be a valuable tool for cleaning and maintaining various items around your home. This versatile and natural ingredient has properties that make it an effective cleaner, polisher, and lubricant.
In this helpful blog post with the best olive oil cleaning tips, we will explore the unexpected uses of olive oil as a cleaning agent. Get ready to discover the golden elixir’s hidden potential and revolutionise your cleaning routine.
Polishing and Restoring Surfaces
1. Reviving Wood Furniture:
- Combine olive oil with lemon juice or vinegar in equal parts.
- Apply the mixture to a soft cloth and gently rub it into the wood surface.
- Wipe away the excess oil and let it dry. The wood will regain its natural shine.
2. Polishing Stainless Steel Appliances:
- Apply a small amount of olive oil to a clean cloth.
- Rub the oil onto the stainless steel surface in the direction of the grain.
- Buff the surface to remove fingerprints and restore its lustre.
3. Removing Stickers and Residue:
- Apply a generous amount of olive oil to the sticker or residue.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to soften the adhesive.
- Gently scrape off the sticker or residue using a plastic scraper or your fingernail.
Lubricating and Preventing Sticking
1. Quieting Squeaky Hinges:
- Apply a few drops of olive oil directly to the hinge pins or pivot points.
- Move the hinge back and forth to distribute the oil and eliminate the squeak.
2. Unsticking a Zipper:
- Dab a small amount of olive oil onto a cotton swab.
- Apply it to the stuck zipper and gently work it back and forth.
- The lubrication from the oil will help loosen the zipper.
3. Removing Adhesive Residue:
- Apply a small amount of olive oil to a cloth.
- Rub it onto the adhesive residue until it starts to dissolve.
- Continue rubbing until the residue is completely removed.
Cleaning and Refreshing Household Items
1. Cleaning and Conditioning Leather:
- Dab a small amount of olive oil onto a clean, soft cloth.
- Gently rub the cloth onto the leather surface, conditioning it and removing dirt and stains.
- Buff the leather with a dry cloth to remove any excess oil.
2. Revitalising Houseplants:
- Mix a few drops of olive oil with water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture onto the leaves of houseplants to add shine and combat dust.
- Wipe away any excess oil with a clean cloth.
3. Removing Paint and Grease from Hands:
- Apply a small amount of olive oil to your hands.
- Rub the oil into the paint or grease, allowing it to loosen.
- Rinse your hands with warm water and wash them with soap to remove the oil and residue.
Olive oil is more than just a culinary delight; it’s a versatile cleaning companion. With its natural properties and gentle effectiveness, olive oil can be the secret weapon you need to help tackle various cleaning challenges around the house. Head into your pantry and give it a try, you might just surprise yourself!
Another way to give your home the care it needs is with a SweepSouth cleaning service. Head to our website or the SweepSouth App and book a vetted cleaning professional to transform your home like no one else can. As SA’s #1 home services platform, we’ve got your home service needs covered 7 days a week.