Salt is one of the best ingredients you can use to restore your house to a clean state, and if you don’t know why, we’re going to tell you. If you’re struggling with the same old cleaning detergents time and time again, or you’ve run out of your favourite one, salt might be the solution to your problem.
Cleaning with salt is a practice that’s been discovered and improved over many years, but not many people know about it. There are many items in and around your house that you can add a shine and sparkle to using this common cooking ingredient. To find out what items those are, let’s look at the power of cleaning with salt and how it can transform your home with these easy cleaning tips.
How To Clean An Iron With Salt
Don’t let your clothes be ruined by an iron that simply needs cleaning. Instead of chucking away the thread-puller and stain-maker, rather just reach into your pantry and learn how to clean an iron with salt using these 4 steps:
- Place sheets of newspaper on your ironing board and sprinkle some salt on top.
- Iron over the salt in circles with a warm setting until there is little to no salt remaining.
- Unplug your iron and let it cool down.
- Once cool, wipe your iron plate with a damp cloth to get rid of any remaining residue.
Cleaning Copper With Vinegar And Salt
Copper items add a beautiful touch to any home by emanating a subtle tone of warmth. If you have copper items that need cleaning, especially heirlooms passed down to you, follow the 4 steps below when cleaning copper with vinegar and salt:
- Place your copper items into a sink or bowl before pouring vinegar on them.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the rough side of a sponge and use it to scrub your copper items. The mixture of salt and vinegar will work well at breaking down tarnished areas. Add more salt to the sponge whenever needed.
- Rinse your copper items under water.
- Once rinsed, polish your copper with a clean, dry microfiber cloth.
Tip: Do not use the cleaning method above if your copper has been sealed. Head to our post on how to clean copper to figure out if your copper has been sealed, and for other useful copper-cleaning tips.
Cleaning Silver With Aluminium Foil And Salt
Whether it’s your favourite bracelet or a pair of earrings you cannot leave the house without, there’s an easy way to make sure your silver items keep their shine for years to come. Learning how to clean silver at home is a breeze. Use these 7 steps when cleaning silver with aluminium with foil and salt for the best results:
- Use aluminium foil to line the bottom of a large baking pan or glass baking dish. Make sure the shinier side is facing up.
- Place your silver items onto the foil. Separate them so that none of them are touching.
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda and two tablespoons of salt to the pan.
- Pour enough boiling water into the pan until the silver items are covered.
- Wait a minute or two before turning the silver over. It’s best to use a wooden or plastic utensil for this step.
- Once the silver has soaked in the water for a minute or two on either side, remove and rinse them under water.
- Buff your silver items dry with a lint-free microfiber cloth.
Cleaning Dogs Eyes With Salt Water
If your furry family member is struggling with their eye, they might have an infection or something stuck in it. You’ll be able to tell if there’s something wrong by one of the following 3 signs:
- Your dog’s eye has flared up and is red.
- There’s an abnormal discharge coming from the eye.
- Your dog is constantly trying to scratch their eye.
If the last sign is occurring then you should take your dog to the vet. If not, use the 4 steps below to clean your dog’s eye with salt water:
- Add a ¼ teaspoon of salt to one cup of room temperature water.
- Stir until the salt dissolves.
- Apply the mixture to your dog’s eye either by saturating a cotton ball with the salt water and letting it drip, or by using a dropper.
- Do this 3-4 times a day if need be, and if it does not help, take your dog to the vet.
Now that you know the power of salt and what it can achieve, you might want to stock up on more of it instead of buying more cleaning detergents. Share these tips and methods with friends and family who have the same problems, and if you need help with other chores around the house, book one of our expert cleaning services or gardening services for the best results.