Of all the places in the world we’ll visit and see, our homes are usually our favourites, where we spend most of our time. However, if they aren’t taken care of properly, they can also be a source of pollutants that become harmful to our health and the environment. While it’s important to keep a clean home, it’s becoming increasingly vital to do so using green cleaning products and methods.
The cleaning products we use to maintain our homes often contain harmful chemicals that contribute to environmental pollution, and can also be harmful to humans and animals. Fortunately, we can make a difference by adopting eco-friendly and pet-friendly cleaning products and methods. In this blog post, we’ll explore the idea of green cleaning with eco-friendly tips for a sustainable clean home.
5 Eco-friendly, Green Cleaning Tips Worth Adopting
If you’re looking to move in the direction of sustainable living, a great place to start is the cleaning products and techniques used in your home. Below are 5 eco-friendly cleaning tips you can use to live a greener lifestyle:
- Use non-toxic cleaning products
- Make your own cleaning solutions
- Reduce waste in your cleaning routine
- Clean with microfiber cloths
- Use essential oils for cleaning and freshening
1. Use Non-Toxic Cleaning Products
Conventional cleaning products often contain harmful chemicals such as ammonia, phthalates, and triclosan, among others. These chemicals have been found to not only contribute to air and water pollution, but are also detrimental to our health. The complications they are linked with include respiratory problems, burns, skin irritation, and hormone function.
Luckily, most grocery stores have health aisles or sections where green cleaning products are shelved. Many of the well-known supermarket names also have their own sustainable brands with a focus on non-toxic products. When shopping, look out for the following terms used on products that relate to the packaging and ingredients, to ensure you’re making the more sustainable choice:
Biodegradable, eco-friendly, non-toxic, renewable, recyclable, sustainable, cruelty-free, natural, and plant-based.
2. Make Your Own Cleaning Solutions
Although many brands are coming out with healthier and more sustainable cleaning products, an alternative solution is also to make your own. Not only will you be 100% sure of what’s going into each product, but you’ll also learn a new skill in the process. You won’t need to worry about any health complications caused by toxic ingredients found in other products.
Here are 5 tips to keep in mind for storing and using homemade cleaning products:
- Label your bottles so that you don’t get confused between similar-looking products.
- Store the products in a cool, dry place to extend their shelf life.
- Use recycled glass containers to save yourself money, and to avoid the breakdown of chemicals from containers made from other materials.
- Shake well before use, as natural products separate very easily.
- Don’t mix solutions to avoid the possibility of creating harmful fumes.
3. Reduce Waste in Your Cleaning Routine
Disposable and single-use cleaning products make for unnecessary waste that is easy to avoid. This is especially relevant if you get your home cleaned often. When choosing sustainable practices, not only will you be reducing harmful impacts on the environment, but you’ll also save money.
Here are some helpful tips to reduce waste in your cleaning routine:
- Look for cleaning products that come in refillable containers.
- Use concentrated products that can be diluted with water to create more cleaning solution.
- Clean as you go to avoid messes from becoming larger problems that require more solution and wasteful resources.
- Use reusable, not disposable gloves.
- When deciding, go for cleaning products packaged in recyclable containers. Be sure to recycle appropriately once the products are finished.
4. Clean with Microfiber Cloths
Microfiber cloths are a lifesaver when it comes to sustainability. Not only do they produce fantastic results, but they also do so in a much greener way. Here are 4 ways that explain why microfiber cloths are more sustainable than other cleaning cloths:
- Reusability – They are made of durable materials that can be washed and reused many times instead of needing to be disposed of after a single use.
- Durability – Microfiber clothes are stronger and more resistant to wear and tear because of the materials they are made from.
- Cleaning Efficiency – They are highly effective at cleaning surfaces because of their unique fibre structure, meaning less cleaning solution is needed to trap dirt and dust particles.
- Water Efficiency – The design of microfiber cloths is such that more water is absorbed and held, meaning less water can be used during the overall cleaning process.
5. Use Essential Oils for Cleaning and Freshening
Essential oils are often equal, if not better, in their ability to clean and freshen surfaces and areas of your home. They are also much healthier alternatives to the more mainstream products with toxic ingredients. Below are recommendations of essential oils that you can add to your cleaning routine:
- Lemon essential oil is great for cleaning surfaces and freshening the air because it is a natural disinfectant and deodoriser.
- Tea tree essential oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, perfect for disinfecting surfaces.
- Peppermint essential oil is a great choice if you’d like to keep a surface clean while repelling insects and rodents.
- Lavender essential oil works well to freshen up fabrics and linens because of its calming and relaxing scent.
- Orange essential oil has a powerful citrusy scent that cuts through grease and grime easily, and leaves a great smell too.
As we move further into a future of greener living and sustainability, there are many products and methods you can use to do your bit. The best part of all? They will also be better for your health and the health of your fur babies.
If you don’t have enough time in your schedule to fit a proper cleaning routine in, we’re a few clicks away from an unmatched booking. Head to the SweepSouth cleaning service page today and give your home a transformation through the skilled hands of experienced and trusted SweepStars.