On International Domestic Workers’ Day 2021 we would like to take the time to celebrate those women and men, who both add value to our lives. They take care of our homes, our family and all the stress and chores that go along with being a caregiver and domestic worker. Today and every day, we salute you for giving us the opportunity to focus on our work and building on our family time, while you give us the added support – words can not describe how much we appreciate YOU and everything you do.
In addition, we definitely take it upon ourselves as SweepSouth to better the lives of those who take care of us. With that being said, we’ve launched our SweepSouth Foundation. Through this ongoing initiative, Make A Day Change A Life, we raise funds towards a domestic worker’s cause in hopes to better their lives. We’ve also implemented a rewards programme to add additional value to SweepStars everyday life. We also continue to provide education to domestic workers, helping them leverage technology for their benefit. For SweepSouth the aim is to make sure we improve the living conditions of domestic workers and change the industry for the better. Read more about this topic here.
But, our mission is not done yet. We will continue to drive change and assist domestic workers with the necessary support they need through our SweepSouth Report on Pay and Working Conditions for Domestic Work across Africa. We also encourage you, your friends and family to support domestic workers and help them make a honest living and to take care of their inner circle and loved ones. “We need to do whatever we can for those who are most vulnerable, and not just at the outset before we put it out of our minds. We need to raise our voices this International Domestic Workers’ Day and keep a conversation going. We must continue to help domestic workers and improve the industry,” says CEO & Co-Founder, Aisha Pandor.
To celebrate to day, here’s a few heartfelt messages from the SweepStars:
- “It’s like SweepSouth took me from the ground and put me in a higher place. Now my daughter is doing her second year in College. She is doing Law and I’m managing to pay her fees.” – S Mloyi
- “A big thank you to SweepSouth now l know how to use my phone. Thank you for taking care of us during the lockdown.” – A Chitauro
- “I will always remember how SweepSouth helped me during 2020 the time of the covid-19 pandemic.” P Chigova
- “I would like to thank this platform. l call SweepSouth my best home because it took me from zero to the best mother of 4. I’m a single mother of 4 who’s independent, who can stand any ground, who can provide support and care from clothing, schooling, daily feeding of the family, catering for big expensive like tombstone building of my late families, building shelter for my family at rural home, just to mention a few. l always bless the day I started to work on this platform. l say thank you to all – l love you all with all my heart, you such a committed team. I say thank you to the founders of this great platform, you are a real soul saver. To our clients,l salute you all. We wouldn’t be praising without you, keep on working with us, thank you for being patient with us in your homes. Thank you for being part of your family in your homes. We love and cherish you as SweepStars.” – S Ncube
- “My favourite SweepSouth memory is when they helped me during the lockdown. With the help of SweepSouth l managed to buy food and pay my rent. l was stress-free during lockdown stages 5 and 4. If l wasn’t able to pay my rent l would’ve been staying in the street.” – L Dickson
- “SweepSouth came to my rescue especially with me being a male in a female-dominated industry. I would like SweepSouth to stretch its wings wider so that it reaches those in need to also change their lives.” – J Otti