Halloween is over, and the eerie decorations that once spooked your home now need to be safely stowed away for another year. But before you pack them up, it’s crucial to ensure they remain in pristine condition.
Cleaning Your Halloween Decorations
1. Dust and Cobwebs
- Gentle Brushing: Use a soft brush or a lint roller to remove dust and cobwebs from your decorations.
2. Plastic and Resin Decorations
- Mild Soapy Water: Fill a basin with warm water and a small amount of mild dishwashing liquid.
- Soft Cloth: Dip a soft cloth into the soapy water, wring it out, and gently wipe down the decorations.
- Rinse and Dry: Rinse the decorations with clean water and let them air dry completely.
3. Fabric Decorations (e.g., Banners, Tablecloths)
- Spot Clean: Use a fabric stain remover or a mixture of cold water and mild dishwashing liquid to spot clean stains.
- Machine Wash: If the fabric is machine washable, launder it according to the laundry label instructions. Ensure it’s fully dry before storing.
4. Pumpkins and Gourds
- Wipe and Disinfect: Wipe the surface with a mixture of water and vinegar to disinfect. Allow them to dry thoroughly.
5. Artificial Spider Webs
- Gently Untangle: Carefully untangle the web, removing any debris or insects.
- Wipe: Wipe the web with a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt.
- Dry: Allow it to dry completely before storing.
Storing Your Halloween Decorations
1. Keep Items Separated
- Avoid Tangles: Store items like garlands and lights in separate containers to prevent tangles.
- Fragile Items: Wrap delicate items in tissue paper or bubble wrap.
2. Air-Tight Containers
- Seal Out Moisture: Use air-tight containers to keep decorations dry and free from pests.
3. Label Boxes
- Easy Identification: Label each storage box with its contents for easy retrieval next year.
4. Protect Inflatables
- Deflate and Fold: Deflate inflatable decorations and fold them neatly. Store in a cool, dry place.
5. Secure Lights
- Wrap Lights: Coil string lights neatly around cardboard or use specially designed storage reels.
6. Consider Climate
- Extreme Temperatures: If your storage area is prone to extreme temperatures, consider using climate-controlled storage or insulating containers.
With these cleaning and storage tips, your Halloween decorations will remain in ghostly (but great) condition for next year’s haunting season. And when it’s time for a thorough home cleaning, don’t forget the convenience of a SweepSouth cleaning service, on SA’s #1 home services platform.
With a large range of services to choose from, all performed by vetted, experienced SweepStars, we’re here to make your home sparkle, leaving you more time to enjoy the spooktacular festivities. Happy decorating!