You may not think about it all too often, but the appliance that does all the cleaning also needs to be cleaned. A washing machine is a vital part of a household that performs an important function. Cleaning loads of clothing week after week becomes taxing, and although we would love for them to remain new forever, washing machines do run into problems at some point in time. Knowing how to clean a washing machine is a useful skill that will keep yours in great condition.
There are several ways it can be done using different ingredients. You may want to know how to clean a washing machine with vinegar and baking soda because they are commonly used ingredients, but in this article, we will look at multiple other ways to clean the inside of a washing machine.
If you feel that your washing machine doesn’t need a deep clean, use regular cleaning detergent to get the job done. Run a cycle as you usually would with hot water and cleaning detergent, with no clothes inside. With the lack of clothing, the detergent can focus more on killing the bacteria inside the machine. Once the cycle has finished, open the machine and let it air-dry. Wipe the drum down with a microfiber cloth if you want it to dry faster.
For a more powerful and deeper clean, use bleach to clean your washing machine. Follow these 5 easy steps below:
- Pour half a cup of bleach into the detergent drawer and another half cup inside the drum.
- Set your machine to run for its hottest cycle. Pause it as soon as the drum has filled with water.
- Allow the mixture to rest for an hour before letting the cycle finish.
- After the first cycle, run a second one (adding cleaning detergent if you’d like) to rinse out the bleach completely.
- Upon completion of the second cycle, open the door and let the machine air-dry. Wipe down the drum and door with a towel or microfiber cloth if need be.
Vinegar And Soda Crystals
For another powerful cleaning option, use soda crystals and vinegar to get rid of the dirt and bacteria in your machine. Use these 5 steps:
- Pour 2 cups of distilled white vinegar into the detergent dispenser.
- Run the hottest and longest cycle on your machine.
- When the first cycle has finished, pour 500 grams of soda crystals into the drum.
- Run a second cycle using the same settings as the first.
- When the cycle is over, open the door and let the machine air-dry. Wipe the drum down with a microfiber cloth if need be.
Vinegar And Epsom Salts
The popular product used in many baths around the world to treat skin is also great for cleaning your washing machine. Follow the 4 steps below:
- Add one cup of epsom salts and half a cup of vinegar into your drum.
- Set the machine to run on its hottest and longest cycle.
- As soon as the machine has filled up with water, pause the cycle and allow the mixture to sit for half an hour to an hour. This will give it time to break down dirt and bacteria as effectively as possible.
- Once the time has passed, let the cycle finish.
- Open the door and let the machine air-dry. Wipe down the inside with a microfiber cloth if you feel the need to.
Use either of these 4 methods to clean your washing machine regularly and enjoy the results of fresher and cleaner clothes.