Are you battling to get your white shoes clean, but don’t want to resort to expensive cleaning products that ‘guarantee results?’ We understand, owning a pair of white sneakers brings about a constant love-hate battle in your mind. You love the sight of them paired with your favourite outfit, especially when they’re as white as snow, but you hate how easily they get dirty.
The latter begs the question of how to get your shoes white again. Luckily the answer to that is not a difficult scientific method that requires special apparatus, but rather something you can do at home. Keep reading to find out how to clean white sneakers to wash those worries away.
How To Clean White Sneakers With Baking Soda
Baking soda has proven time and time again to be the magic ingredient in home cleaning. If you’ve got an abundance of it in your cupboard, cleaning with baking soda will become your new favourite hobby. If you want to know how to clean white shoes with baking soda, use one of the two methods below:
Method 1 – Baking Soda And Vinegar
- Form a mixture using 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, and 1 cup of water. If you don’t have vinegar, you can also use ½ a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- Dip an old cloth or toothbrush into the mixture and proceed to scrub your shoes. Make sure you focus on areas where stains are more prominent.
- Once you’re finished scrubbing, allow the shoes to rest for 30 minutes with the cleaning paste on them.
- Rinse the shoes with water once the time has passed and allow them to air-dry.
Method 2 – Baking Soda And Detergent
If you don’t have vinegar or hydrogen peroxide for the method above, you could always pull out your regular cleaning detergent to get the job done. Use the 4 steps below to clean your white shoes with baking soda and detergent:
- Form a cleaning mixture with 1 part baking soda to 1.5 parts detergent.
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub the mixture onto your shoes.
- Rinse your shoes and remove the laces and inner souls.
- Put your shoes in the washing machine for a gentle cycle. Adding some towels to save on water costs and balance the load is a good idea.
- Let your shoes air-dry completely before wearing them again.
How To Clean White Sneakers With Toothpaste
It makes sense that we would turn to a product that helps with whitening when looking to do the same with our shoes. Use the 4 following steps to brush away those unwanted stains with toothpaste:
- Apply some white gel toothpaste to an old toothbrush and run a bit of water over it.
- Scrub your shoes as much as needed, making sure to focus on particularly dirty areas.
- Once you’ve scrubbed enough, use a damp cloth to wipe away any leftover toothpaste.
- Allow your shoes to air-dry.
How To Clean White Sneakers With Water And Toilet Paper
Knowing how to remove yellow stains from white sneakers is a very useful skill because unfortunately, it happens to so many pairs. The best part is that you only need toilet paper and water for this method. Follow the 3 steps below to get the yellow out of your white shoes:
- Wet enough sheets of toilet paper to cover your shoes.
- Cover your sneakers with the toilet paper before leaving them to rest for 12 hours.
- Once the time has passed, peel the paper off and watch the yellow stains disappear.
How To Clean White Leather Shoes
Many popular brands sell white leather shoes that are a hit with people. If you’re one of those people, you’ll want to get your hands on a magic eraser. To get your leather shoes stain-free, dampen the magic eraser slightly and wipe away the dirt. When you’re finished, dry your shoes with a clean towel, or place them outside to air-dry if need be.
How To Clean Shoelaces
If your laces are particularly dirty and need a thorough cleaning all around, remove them before using any of the methods above. You can place them in your washing machine for a cycle with some other whites. Use a delicates bag so that you don’t end up losing them. You can also soak them in a bowl of stain remover for a day before washing them if need be.
You’re now ready to head out into public with an added spring in your step, knowing that if your white shoes get dirty, you’ll know how to clean them. If you want to keep the rest of your outfit in check, learn the expert tips and methods on how to get white clothes white again. If you need help with anything else around the house, book a cleaning service with SweepSouth for professionalism and convenience unmatched. Don’t forget to share these cleaning tips with friends and family who could also do with stain-free, white shoes.