With a bit of sunlight in the right direction, windows are one of the easiest parts of a home to spot dirt on. The pieces of glass that keep us warm and allow light in while making sure we’re able to view the outdoors, are best seen when they are clean. Many of us may think we know how to do it, but the trick is to clean windows without leaving any scratches or streaks.
If you want to know how to clean windows like a professional by using the best window cleaning and washing equipment, we’ve got the answer. The expert team at SweepSouth has compiled the best solution to window cleaning, using both store-bought and homemade products. Bring the shine and sparkle back to your windows by using the following cleaning tips and techniques.
Window Cleaning Tips
To avoid scratches and streaks while performing a thorough job, use the following tips combined with the cleaning methods below for the best way to clean windows:
- Clean your windows on the least sunny day possible. It might seem like a good idea to clean them on a sunny day so that they dry quicker, but the truth is that the sun will dry the cleaning agent into the windows before it can be wiped off.
- Do not use cleaning products that are ammonia or alcohol-based. Products like these will usually leave streaks or a thin layer on your window that will attract dust.
- Use a soft, lint-free cleaning tool when cleaning the windows. Microfiber cloths are ideal, but an alternative solution is crumpled-up newspaper or strong paper towels.
- Avoid using squeegees for smaller window panes. Professional window cleaners use them when cleaning larger windows because they work well, but for your smaller windows at home, you’ll be left with a dripping mess on the floor. Other tools to avoid are those with sharp edges. Even if you have stubborn stains or dirt marks, using a sharp tool to get them off will only scratch your windows.
- When cleaning inside, place a towel beneath the window to catch any droplets.
How To Clean The Inside Of Your Windows
Now is your chance to learn to clean windows like a professional. Although it may seem like a simple task, there are a few small details to get right to be left with the best outcome possible. Follow these 6 easy steps to bring the shine back to the glass of your windows:
- Remove dust from your window with a duster or vacuum cleaner. This will ensure that you aren’t left with a mess by combining the window cleaning solution with the top layer of dirt.
- Form a mixture of clean, cold water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
- Use this mixture to dampen a microfiber cloth and clean the surface of your window. Start at the top and work your way down.
- Use a clean, lint-free towel or paper towels to give the window a quick wipe down.
- The next step will require one of the following window cleaning solutions:
- A store-bought window cleaner that is free of ammonia and alcohol.
- A homemade cleaning solution made of one part distilled vinegar and 10 parts warm water. Combine these ingredients in a spray bottle.
Spray your window with a generous amount of your chosen window cleaner and wipe it down from top to bottom using a microfiber cloth or paper towel. Keep wiping until there are no streaks left.
- Repeat step 5 for any stubborn stains or dirty areas that need extra cleaning.
How To Clean The Outside Of Your Windows
When cleaning the outside of your windows, you might find that there’s more dust and dirt on the panes. To help you get rid of this, use a hose to rinse the windows before starting with the rest of the cleaning process. Once you’ve hosed down the window, dry it with a towel before vacuuming it and carrying on with the steps listed above.
How To Clean Cement Off Glass Windows
If you’ve found that there are bits of cement or stubborn dirt on your windows that are more difficult to remove, use the following technique instead of turning to a razor-sharp blade to scrape it off. Fill a spray bottle with 5 drops of dishwashing liquid and warm water. Spray a generous amount of the mixture onto the cement or dirty areas. Allow the dirt to soak up the mixture for a few minutes before removing it with a credit card or another flat tool that won’t scratch the window.
With these methods and tips, you’ll be able to bring the glimmer back to your windows without the worry of streaks. If you want your shower doors to match your windows, check out our post on cleaning glass shower doors. Say goodbye to dust and dirt and enjoy the sight of clean and sparkling windows.