Sweating is a natural and healthy bodily function, but those unsightly yellow sweat stains that it can leave on your clothing? Not so desirable. While the function is a way of life we need to accept, the result isn’t something we should just live with.
In this thorough SweepSouth guide, we’re going to take you through various effective methods to bid farewell to those stubborn sweat stains and keep your clothes looking fresh. Follow along and use our cleaning tips that will keep your clothing looking as new as the day you got it.
Why Sweat Stains Form
Sweat itself is actually colourless, but it can lead to stains when it reacts with the natural bacteria on your skin and the chemicals in your deodorant or antiperspirant. Over time, this combination can result in the notorious yellowish stains on white and light-coloured clothing.
5 Ways to Get Rid of Sweat Stains
1. Act Quickly
The key to successfully removing sweat stains is to address them as soon as possible. Fresh stains are much easier to tackle than older, set-in ones.
2. Aspirin Solution
Believe it or not, aspirin can be a sweat stain’s worst enemy.
- Crush Aspirin Tablets: Crush two aspirin tablets and mix the powder with a small amount of warm water to create a paste.
- Apply the Paste: Apply the paste directly to the sweat stain.
- Let It Sit: Allow the paste to sit for at least an hour, or even overnight.
- Wash as Usual: After the wait, launder the garment as you normally would.
3. Baking Soda and Water
Baking soda is a versatile cleaner and can be your ally in the fight against sweat stains.
- Create a Paste: Mix four tablespoons of baking soda with a quarter-cup of warm water to create a paste.
- Apply the Paste: Spread the paste evenly over the sweat stain.
- Soak and Scrub: Let the paste sit for about 30 minutes. Afterwards, gently scrub the stain with a soft-bristle brush.
- Wash Normally: Wash the garment following the care label instructions.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide and Dishwashing liquid
This method is particularly effective for white fabrics.
- Create the Solution: Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and dishwashing liquid.
- Apply to the Stain: Apply the solution directly to the sweat stain.
- Gentle Rubbing: Gently rub the fabric together to work in the solution.
- Wait and Wash: Allow the solution to sit on the stain for 30 minutes, then wash the garment as usual.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice can help break down sweat stains and freshen your clothing.
- Saturate the Stain: Squeeze fresh lemon juice directly onto the stain.
- Sun Exposure: Place the garment in direct sunlight for a few hours. The sun’s natural bleaching effect can enhance stain removal.
- Wash Normally: Wash the garment as usual after sun exposure.
With these methods at your disposal, you can confidently tackle sweat stains and extend the life of your favourite clothing items. If you want to confidently tackle home cleaning, a vetted SweepStar can do it for you.
When it comes to overall home hygiene, we’re proud to be SA’s #1 home services platform, offering a range of cleaning services to keep your home looking its best. Book a SweepSouth cleaning service today and enjoy stain-free clothing and a spotless home!