A cluttered and disorganised garage can be a source of frustration and wasted time. Not only is it an eyesore, but it also takes away from useful storage space for items that are being stored elsewhere in your home. However, all it takes is some smart planning and focused effort involving organising and cleaning to turn your garage into a well-organised and functional space.
Imagine having easy access to your tools, ample storage space for your belongings, and a clean, healthy, and safe space that contributes to a happy home. In this home and office organisation guide, relating more specifically to your garage, we’ll share expert tips and strategies to help you organise and clean your garage like a pro.
Assessing and Planning
Before you begin the organisation and cleaning process, it’s vital to put pen to paper and create a structured plan. This will make the entire job a lot easier. This plan should include an evaluation before you set goals and prioritise.
1. Evaluate Your Garage
When evaluating, take a moment to assess the current state of your garage. Walk through the space and identify problem areas that require attention. Look for cluttered corners, limited storage options, or tool racks that need re-organising. Understanding the challenges you face will guide your organising efforts and help you come up with effective solutions.
2. Set Goals and Prioritise
Setting clear goals is essential to staying focused and motivated throughout the organisation process. Decide what you want to achieve with your garage, and map out the look of it in your mind or on paper first. Maybe you need more storage space? Or improved accessibility to your tools? Once you’ve written down your goals, prioritise tasks based on their importance and feasibility and use this to create a custom cleaning schedule. This will help you break down the process into manageable steps.
Decluttering and Sorting
The next step in the process is all about donating, throwing away, or keeping. Let’s look at the steps you’ll need to take, which involve emptying and categorising, followed by the actual decluttering strategies.
1. Empty and Categorise
To effectively declutter and sort, empty out your garage completely, to begin with. Removing all items will give you a blank canvas to work with. As you’re clearing out, categorise items into groups based on their purpose or type. These categories could include tools, sports equipment, gardening supplies, and seasonal items. This will make it easier to organise and find things later.
2. Decluttering Strategies
Once you’ve categorised your items, it’ll be easier to decide what needs keeping and what can be thrown/given away. Consider each item’s condition and frequency of use. Get two boxes, one for items that you’re donating and the other for those you’re trashing, and label them accordingly. Placing objects into these boxes as you’re going through them will be much easier than leaving them lying around and having to do it at the end.
Once you’ve successfully completed the decluttering and sorting stage, and you’re left with the tools and items you want to hold onto, you can implement organising solutions. Let’s take a look at the different storage solutions, as well as labelling and organisation systems at your disposal.
1. Storage Solutions
When considering storage solutions, you’ll want to consider the size and amount of garage tools you have. Below are the options you’ll want to explore:
- Wall storage solutions: Utilising wall space is an efficient way to maximise storage in your garage. It works mainly for small to medium-sized objects. Install pegboards, slat walls, or magnetic strips to hang anything that can be hung. Having your tools on the wall keeps them within reach while saving valuable floor and shelf space.
- Shelving and Cabinet Systems: For larger items and containers, shelves and cabinets will work better. Adjustable shelving systems allow you to customise the space according to your needs. Cabinets provide a neat and concealed storage solution, keeping your possessions free of dust and dirt.
2. Labelling Systems
After storage solutions, you’ll want to consider labelling systems to help maintain order. Consider these 3 ideas to make everything easier to find:
- Use colour-coding to differentiate items from different categories. For example, you could go with blue labels for automotive tools and red labels for gardening equipment.
- Use clear containers for items that aren’t used frequently. This allows you to easily identify and find contents without going through every box.
- Utilise drawer dividers to keep small items organised and easily accessible. This works especially well for screws, nails, and bolts.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Now that you know how to organise your garage like a pro, let’s look at the best ways to clean and maintain it.
1. Deep Cleaning
Keeping your garage clean is essential, especially because it houses tools that gather lots of dust and dirt. A deep cleaning session will not only make your garage look better but also create a healthier and safer environment. Follow the 4 steps below to clean your garage thoroughly:
- Sweep and declutter: Start by removing any loose items from the floor, such as tools, boxes, or debris. Use a broom to sweep away dirt, leaves, and cobwebs from all corners of your garage.
- Dust and wipe surfaces: Use a microfiber cloth or a duster to wipe down shelves, cabinets, and any other surfaces. Remember to include light fixtures and ventilation areas, and don’t forget to clean your windows.
- Clean the walls: Before cleaning the floor, take care of your walls so that any fallen dust will still be taken care of. Use a soft-bristle broom or a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to remove loose dirt and cobwebs. If your walls are painted, use a sponge or a microfiber cloth dampened with a mild cleaning solution to wipe them down.
- Wash the floors: Garage floors gather dirt very easily, and you’re likely to have a couple of stains too. Start by spot-treating any oil stains with an appropriate degreaser. Use a pressure washer or a high-powered hose to spray and clean the floors. Use a stiff brush and a mixture of warm water and mild detergent to scrub stubborn stains. Rinse the floor thoroughly and let it dry completely.
2. Regular Maintenance
Once your garage is organised and clean, the easiest way to keep it like that is through regular maintenance. Here are 3 tips to sustain an organised garage, and prevent a chaotic mess from forming:
- Establish cleaning schedules: Set aside dedicated dates to clean and maintain your garage. It could be once a month, or possibly before the change of every season. Mark these dates on your calendar to ensure you follow through.
- Declutter on a regular basis: Perform the same decluttering process given above regularly to avoid clutter from piling up in your garage. Set aside time whenever your schedule allows, to assess your belongings and get rid of items you no longer need or use.
- Implement storage maintenance: Review and reorganise your storage systems from time to time in order to take note of any areas that are becoming disorganised or overloaded. Adjust shelving, reassess container placement, and consider if any additional storage solutions are needed, for newly acquired items.
By following the processes outlined above, you should be able to get your garage to the state you’ve always dreamed of in no time. Be proud of the cleaning and organising work you do, as this will motivate you to keep it that way.
If you don’t have the time to clean and sort your garage, or you need help doing so, SweepStars are always willing to lend a helping hand. They are vetted professionals who are passionate about what they do, so your garage will be in good hands. Book a SweepSouth cleaning service today and discover just how easy it is to keep a well-maintained garage.