Every day is an opportunity to appreciate and celebrate the incredible women in our lives, but the 8th of March has a special place in the calendar for women all around the world. International Women’s Day is a prominent celebration that holds space for women’s rights, achievements, and abilities to be brought into the spotlight, and rightly so.
Whether it’s the hard-working SweepSouth staff and SweepStars, or our loyal customers, we hold many women near and dear to our hearts. If you’d like to reach out to the women in your life and show them how much they’re valued, we’ve compiled a list of inspiring, positive, and funny International Women’s Day Quotes. Don’t forget to spoil them with a professional, affordable cleaning service that will put a smile on their face and make their Women’s Day that much better.
International Women’s Day History
International Women’s Day (IWD) is a global event celebrated annually on March 8th. The first IWD was observed in 1909 in the United States, as a response to a demonstration for better working conditions and suffrage rights for women. In 1910, the idea of establishing an international women’s day was proposed at the International Socialist Women’s Conference in Copenhagen, and it was officially celebrated for the first time in Austria, Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland in 1911.
Over the years, the importance of International Women’s Day has grown in scope and significance, becoming a platform for women’s rights and empowerment worldwide. Today, it is celebrated by millions of people in different ways, including marches, rallies, conferences, and cultural events, and serves as a reminder of the ongoing struggles for gender equality and social justice.
Inspiring International Women’s Day Quotes
Celebrating women can be done with a simple “International Women’s Day,” but women deserve something a little more than simplicity; more like extraordinary. Send these inspiring quotes to the women in your life who inspire you:
- “A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” – Audre Lorde
- “We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.” – Sheryl Sandberg
- “I raise up my voice—not so I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard…we cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
- “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens.” – Michelle Obama
- “The empowered woman is powerful beyond measure and beautiful beyond description.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made… It shouldn’t be that women are the exception.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- “We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead.” – Beyoncé
- “Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.” – Cheris Kramarae
- “I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that’s me.” – Maya Angelou
Positive International Women’s Day Quotes
The role that women play in the lives of so many nowadays is a cornerstone of happiness and positivity in the face of adversity. Give that upliftment back using one or more of these positive quotes:
- “She believed she could, so she did.” – R.S. Grey
- “Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Unknown
- “A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform.” – Diane Mariechild
- “Women are always saying, ‘We can do anything that men can do.’ But men should be saying, ‘We can do anything that women can do.'” – Gloria Steinem
- “When women support each other, incredible things happen.” – Unknown
- “The education and empowerment of women throughout the world cannot fail to result in a more caring, tolerant, just and peaceful life for all.” – Aung San Suu Kyi
- “Women hold up half the sky.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Where there is a woman, there is magic.” – Ntozake Shange
- “If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.” – Margaret Fuller
- “The strongest action for a woman is to love herself, be herself, and shine amongst those who never believed she could.” – Unknown
Funny International Women’s Day Quotes
The lights of our lives bring much-needed humour to brighten up every day, so share these funny quotes with them and turn a woman’s smile into the artwork of a woman’s laugh:
- “I’m not bossy, I’m the boss.” – Madonna
- “A woman’s mind is cleaner than a man’s: She changes it more often.” – Oliver Herford
- “Behind every successful woman is a substantial amount of coffee.” – Stephanie Piro
- “I have enough clothes and shoes. I don’t need to go shopping.” – Said no woman ever.
- “A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.” – Gloria Steinem
- “Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.” – George Carlin
- “I am a woman, therefore, I must multitask.” – Anonymous
- “I’m not short, I’m concentrated awesome.” – Anonymous
- “I know I am a handful, but that’s why you have two hands.” – Anonymous
- “If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.” – Katherine Hepburn
Most, if not all women, will confirm their love for gifts on any random day, never mind a celebratory holiday. Make it an extra special day by treating the ladies in your life with something special from these gift ideas. No matter what you do on International Women’s Day, stop for a second and think about the incredible impact of women far and wide, and how privileged we are as a society to have them by our side.
If you’d like to take action and make a difference for women all over the world, head to the International Women’s Day website and find out what you can do to have your say.