If you’ve ever struggled with your mental health, or know of someone that has, you’ll know how serious it can be. That’s why Mental Health Awareness Month is a worthy cause that we should all be aware of. Your mental state doesn’t only affect your mood, but it has a domino effect on so many other bodily functions.
The SweepSouth team recognises and appreciates Mental Health Awareness Month because we want to see a world where happiness is constant, and people are thriving every day. Join us in looking at the answers to some commonly asked questions surrounding this vital issue, and the importance of mental health.
When Is Mental Health Awareness Month?
Mental Health Awareness Month South Africa runs from the 1st to the 31st of October. The entire month has been declared as such to recognise and bring mental health to the forefront of conversation in the hopes of uplifting people and making a positive change. World Mental Health Day falls on October 10 every year. This is an international day for awareness and education that takes place all over the world.
What Is Mental Health?
Mental health includes, but is not exclusive to a person’s psychological, emotional, and social well-being. It determines how we handle life situations such as stress, choice-making, and relating to others. Our mental health affects these and many other circumstances by affecting how we feel, think, make decisions, and ultimately act. What factors contribute to mental health problems? Listed below are a few to take note of:
- Family History: If mental health problems are common in your family tree, you should be extra weary and regularly take note of how you’re feeling.
- Biological Factors: Following on from your family history, certain genes that affect your brain chemistry and mental health could get passed down to you.
- Life Experiences: Traumatic instances such as abuse take a toll on mental health.
Why Is Mental Health Important?
Maintaining a good state of mental health is vital to a healthy life through a variety of contributing factors. There’s a direct correlation between our mental well-being to what we do, think, and say. When we maintain a positive level of mental health, we not only contribute to better thoughts, emotions, and behaviours, but we also suppress the possibility of any physical health problems arising, that are directly linked to our mental state. Below are some of the benefits that come as a result of a healthy mental state:
- Improved mood
- Clearer thinking
- The ability to better cope with stress
- More productivity at school and the workplace
- Making meaningful connections and maintaining healthy relationships
- Reduction of anxiety
- Better self-esteem
Make sure you practise daily habits for happiness that will have a direct positive impact on the way you feel every day.
Early Warning Signs Of Mental Health Problems
Early detection of mental health problems will ensure that help can be attained before the issue becomes more serious. Here are some warning signs to look out for:
- Having little to no energy
- Sleeping too much or not enough
- Eating too much or not enough
- Getting addicted to substances
- Experiencing a serious lack of meaning or motivation
- Experiencing severe mood swings
- Hearing voices or having thoughts of harming yourself or others
How Can You Positively Influence Your Mental Health?
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, we encourage you to take action to make a change. Just as there are negative influences on a person’s mental state, there are also positive changes that can be made. Here are some practices that can positively affect your mental health:
- Daily or regular exercise
- Journaling or other forms of writing
- Yoga or stretching
- Meditation, prayer, or practising mindfulness
- Going to therapy or speaking about it with loved ones
Other than the activities listed above, it’s important to know how to break your worst habits so that you can replace them with better ones.
Everyone deserves the right to a happy and healthy brain and mind that contributes to a fulfilling life. Take care of your mental health by incorporating daily practices such as a healthy and effective morning routine for a great day. More importantly, don’t be embarrassed to speak up about any problems you may be experiencing. A clean home is a happy home, so don’t forget to book one of SweepSouth’s professional and brilliant cleaning services to ensure your living space radiates happiness and health.