The microwave is arguably one of the most convenient appliances in our kitchens. Yet, despite its frequent use, it’s often neglected when it comes to regular cleaning and maintenance. However, like any other kitchen appliance, its lifespan can be extended significantly through proper care and maintenance.
This blog post will share useful microwave cleaning, maintenance, and usage tips to keep your microwave running efficiently for longer.
Cleaning Your Microwave
Dirty microwaves not only smell bad but also pose health risks. Here’s a simple and natural way to clean your microwave using 4 steps:
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with one cup of water and a chopped-up lemon, lime, or orange, or several tablespoons of vinegar.
- Place the bowl inside the microwave and run it on high power for several minutes until the mixture boils and the window is steamy.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before opening the door. This will allow the steam to loosen the grime and food particles.
- Wipe the interior with a sponge or paper towel.
Remember, regular cleaning can prevent stubborn, baked-on dirt, making your microwave easier to maintain.
Microwave Maintenance Tips
Frequent and proper cleaning is one way to keep your microwave in great condition, but there are other maintenance practices you should consider. Use the 3 tips below as a guideline:
- Never run an empty microwave: Running a microwave without anything inside can damage the oven’s magnetron tube, the component that generates the waves. Always ensure there’s something inside to absorb the microwaves.
- Use microwave-safe containers: Always use microwave-safe containers to prevent them from melting or causing food to heat unevenly.
- Regularly check the door seal: The door seal is critical for the safe operation of your microwave. Regularly inspect it for signs of wear and tear.
Usage Tips to Extend Your Microwave’s Lifespan
While we’re on the topic of maintenance, here are some further tips to extend the lifespan of your microwave:
- Don’t ignore unusual noises: If your microwave starts making unusual sounds, it’s often a sign of a more significant problem. Turn off and unplug the appliance, and consider getting it professionally checked.
- Use pre-set cooking times: Most microwaves come with pre-set times for different foods. Use these settings to prevent overuse and overheating.
- Allow cooling periods: If you use your microwave for a long time, give it a break to cool down.
- Keep your microwave dry: Oftentimes, after using your microwave for a long period of time, you might find a layer of moisture inside. Be sure to wipe this water away, as over an extended period, this could cause your microwave to malfunction.
Adopting these microwave maintenance and cleaning tips can help extend the lifespan of your appliance, making your kitchen operations smoother and more efficient. However, remember that a clean kitchen is not just about a clean microwave. Every aspect of your home deserves the same attention.
For thorough, professional home cleaning, consider booking a SweepSouth cleaning service. As SA’s #1 home services platform, SweepSouth offers a wide range of services to meet all your cleaning needs, helping you maintain a clean and hygienic living environment effortlessly. Book today and experience the difference a happy, healthy home can make.