As pet owners know, living with pets brings immense joy to a home, but it also presents certain cleaning challenges. From fur all around to accidents and odours, maintaining a clean and fresh home is more of a challenge with fur babies. However, with the right approach and tools for eco-friendly and pet-friendly cleaning, it’s possible to keep your home clean and safe for you and your beloved pets.
In this post, we’ll share some tips and tricks for pet-friendly cleaning so that tales are always wagging. If you need a professional home service company that treats your pets with the love and respect they deserve, SweepSouth is your answer. Whether you’re on the website or the SweepSouth app, you’ll be able to find SweepStars that are comfortable working around pets.
Pet-Friendly Cleaning Tips to Keep Your Home Clean
Living with pets is a wonderful joy we get to experience, but it also requires cleaning tips and techniques different from the usual ones. If you’re looking to keep your home clean and your pets happy, we’ll be discussing the key points below in this post:
- Choosing Pet-Friendly Cleaning Products
- Cleaning Up After Shedding Pets
- Removing Pet Stains and Odours
- Managing Litter Boxes and Pet Waste
- Keeping Your Home Fresh and Clean
1. Choosing Pet-Friendly Cleaning Products
Many common household cleaning products can be harmful to pets, so it’s important to look out for the right ones. An animal’s heightened sense of smell also causes them to be more sensitive to chemicals and fragrances in cleaning products. Other than the risk of direct ingestion, keep in mind that pets may come into contact with surfaces that have been cleaned with harmful products and then groom themselves, ultimately exposing them to harmful chemicals.
Avoid this risk by choosing pet-friendly cleaning products formulated with natural, non-toxic ingredients that are safe for your animals. Look out for labels that say ‘pet-friendly,’ or get a vet’s recommendation if you really want to play it safe. These products are also often free from harsh chemicals, fragrances, and dyes that can irritate your pet’s skin and respiratory system.
2. Cleaning Up After Shedding Pets
The pet hair and dander that accumulates can result in two main issues. Firstly, allergies and respiratory problems for both pets and their owners become heightened. Secondly, pet hair and dander trap dust and dirt, meaning regular cleaning is important, especially for good indoor air quality. Here are 5 tips for getting rid of pet hair and cleaning up:
- 1. Brush your pet regularly – Brush your pet at least once a week to reduce the amount of hair that gets shed.
- 2. Use a vacuum cleaner – Invest in a good quality vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter and vacuum carpets, furniture, and pet beds regularly.
- 3. Use lint rollers – These will become your best friends, especially when you need hair removed from clothing in a rush.
- 4. Wash pet bedding and blankets – Wash your pet’s bedding and blankets regularly to keep them clean, your pets will love you even more for it.
- 5. Clean air filters – Replace or clean air filters in your air conditioner or air purifier regularly to keep the air in your home clean and allergen-free.
3. Removing Pet Stains and Odours
As pet owners very well know, encountering pet urine, faeces, and vomit in unwanted places is bound to happen more than once. Not only do these messes leave stains and unpleasant odours, they can also attract pests and lead to health issues if not cleaned quickly. Here are some tips for removing pet stains and odours:
- 1. Act quickly – As soon as you notice a pet stain, remove it ASAP to prevent it from setting in.
- 2. Use an enzymatic cleaner – Enzymatic cleaners are most effective because they are specifically designed to break down the proteins in pet stains.
- 3. Blot and rinse – Use your chosen cleaning product for the recommended time it’s needed to work, then blot up any excess moisture with a clean cloth before rinsing the area thoroughly with water.
- 4. Use baking soda – If there are lingering odours after the mess has been cleaned, sprinkle baking soda on the affected area and let it sit for a few hours before vacuuming it up.
4. Managing Litter Boxes and Pet Waste
Managing litter boxes and pet waste isn’t a pet owner’s favourite job, but it needs to be done. Because pet waste can be unsanitary and carry harmful bacteria and parasites, it should be cleaned up regularly to avoid making you and your family sick. Secondly, no one wants the smell of pet waste to linger in their home, so it’s best to keep a clean litter box. Lastly, pet waste can attract pests if not managed properly. Use these tips as a guideline to manage litter boxes and pet waste:
- Scoop the litter box daily as cats are clean animals and prefer a clean box.
- Replace litter every 1-2 weeks to avoid the growth of bacteria, and keep the box fresh.
- Wash the litter box or spray it down and wipe it before replacing it with new litter.
- If you’re struggling with unpleasant odours, find a pet-friendly spray designed for the litter box.
- Pick up the outside waste from your pets daily to avoid it from attracting pests.
5. Keeping Your Home Fresh and Clean
Keeping your home looking and smelling clean with pets running around may seem challenging, but it’s doable. Here are some final few tips on keeping a spotless-looking and pleasant-smelling home:
- Use air purifiers to help remove pet dander and other allergens from the air.
- Keep your windows open as much as possible to allow fresh air in.
- Wash your bedding and blankets regularly to remove harboured pet hair and odours.
Overall, putting in a little extra effort to keep your home clean with pets is more than worth the love and companionship they give so unconditionally. A simple solution to your cleaning problems is SweepSouth cleaning services. Make a booking today and take the hassle out of keeping your home free of pet hair and odours.