Hearing that well-known yet sometimes infamous ‘back to school’ jingle means many things, but one stands out above the rest – shopping. When it comes to finding the perfect school bag, there are many options to choose from. From traditional backpacks to trendy crossbody bags, the potential choices can feel overwhelming. It’s important to find a bag that not only fits your child’s personal style, but also one that is functional and comfortable for carrying all your textbooks and supplies. We at SweepSouth understand that having a happy child means being a happy parent, so we’re here to help.
In this post, we will be comparing different types of school bags and highlighting the pros and cons of each. We’ll also be giving you some practical tips on which brands to look out for when shopping for a new school bag. If you’re a parent helping your child pick out a new bag, this post will help you make an informed decision and find the perfect bag for their needs.
School Bags With Wheels
School bags with wheels, also known as trolley school bags, can be a great option for students who carry a lot of heavy books and supplies. Unfortunately, many schools have a policy in place that doesn’t allow students to use them. If your child’s school does allow it, here are the considerations to take into account:
- Reduces strain on the shoulders and back.
- Works well for students who have to walk long distances to get to school.
- Great for students who need to transport large items, such as musical instruments or sports equipment.
- Often less convenient for walking up stairs and through crowded hallways.
- School bags with wheels are usually heavier than traditional backpacks, which can make them less comfortable to carry when the wheels are not being used.
- The wheels are vulnerable to wear and tear and can break easily, making the bag less functional.
Backpacks For School
Backpacks are one of the most popular choices for school bags, and for good reason. Kids love them mainly for their trendy, fashionable look, but as a parent, these are the other factors to take into account:
- Backpacks have great functionality and organisation. They typically have multiple compartments, pockets and organisers that allow you to easily store and access your books, stationeries, electronic devices, and other items.
- Perfect for students who need to carry many different items to and from school, without them damaging each other.
- Backpacks with padded straps help distribute the weight of the bag evenly, which can make it more comfortable to carry for long periods of time.
- Backpacks can put strain on your shoulders and back if they are overloaded or not adjusted properly.
- If they are not packed correctly, they can cause poor weight distribution which can lead to discomfort.
- Kids often wear backpacks on one shoulder only, which causes spinal, muscular and joint strain on one side of the body.
A messenger school bag is a type of shoulder bag that is designed to be worn across the body. These bags are more popular for university students, but some school pupils prefer them to trolley school bags and backpacks.
- Allows for easy access to the contents of the bag since they can be worn on the front of the body.
- Because they are worn across the body, they can help distribute the weight of the bag more evenly, reducing the strain on the shoulders and back.
- Messenger bags may not be as secure as traditional backpacks; since they are worn on the front of the body, they are more susceptible to theft or loss.
- Most messenger bags aren’t large enough to fit all the books and other materials needed for school.
Popular School Bag Brands
As with all things in life, certain name brands do it best. When it comes to school bags, finding a good quality and comfortable option for your child that can fit all the backpack essentials is of utmost importance. Not only will it make their year at school easier, but you will also save yourself the effort of having to buy a new one every so often when the current one can no longer be used. Listed below are the school bag brands you should keep an eye out for online and in store:
Where To Buy School Bags
If you aren’t looking for a specific brand and would prefer to make comparisons, these are some of the stores and outlets worth having a look at for good-quality school bags:
If you aren’t sure what to look for when shopping, find out how to choose the best school bag for your child’s health and success. You’ll be amazed at the difference in attitude and performance a comfortable school bag can make. Almost as amazed as you would be by the results of a cleaning service provided by a trusted and vetted SweepStar.