Garden tools are the key to keeping a lush and evergreen garden, especially if they are in the optimal condition to do so. But how often do you take care of yours? Like all other cleaning tools, they need to be in the best possible condition to do the job effectively and produce the results you envision. So what’s the best way to ensure your garden tools are kept in excellent condition? Through thorough cleaning, to ensure the best gardening and outdoor maintenance.
Not only will this ensure a job well done, but the other benefits include money saved from not having to replace them regularly, as well as the prevention of the spread of disease and pests. In this ultimate guide, we will walk you through the process of cleaning and maintaining your garden tools to keep them in top shape.
Why Cleaning and Maintaining Your Garden Tools is Essential
As mentioned above, there are 3 main benefits to cleaning your garden tools. These are better performance, eradicating disease and pests, and an extended lifespan. Let’s break these down into more detail below.
1. Ensures Efficient Performance
Garden tools require regular cleaning to function at their best, as the outdoor elements they handle make them easily susceptible to wear and tear. Over time, dirt and debris in the form of soil, sap, and many others, accumulate on the surfaces, affecting their performance. Clean your tools regularly to remove these build-ups and ensure they function optimally.
2. Prevents the Spread of Diseases and Pests
Garden tools work on various plants and areas, meaning they are able to spread pests, fungi, and diseases all around. To prevent such harmful organisms from spreading and growing, sanitise your tools after each use. A simple solution is to disinfect your tools with a solution of bleach or rubbing alcohol. This will help eliminate any potential threats, keeping your garden healthy and disease-free.
3. Extends Lifespan of Garden Tools
Buying high-quality garden tools can be expensive, but proper cleaning and maintenance can significantly extend their lifespan. Because most tools are made of metal, it’s vital to prevent rust and corrosion through regular cleaning. Take care of your tools, and they’ll take care of your wallet down the line.
Essential Tools for Cleaning and Maintaining Your Garden Tools
Doing a thorough cleaning and maintenance job means having the best tools on hand for the job. As funny as this may sound, let’s look at the essential cleaning tools needed to clean your garden tools.
1. Cleaning Tools
The following tools, combined with soapy water or a cleaning product of your choice, can effectively clean most garden tools:
- A stiff-bristle brush to remove dirt and debris from the surfaces.
- A wire brush or scrubber to help tackle stubborn residue.
- An old toothbrush for hard-to-reach areas.
2. Lubricating Tools
Lubricating your garden tools prevents rust and helps them to operate smoothly. Good recommendations are WD-40, oil, or silicone spray. Apply any of these to moving parts such as hinges, joints, or blades. Make sure your lubricant of choice reaches all the critical areas. Don’t forget to wipe off any excess lubricant to keep your tools clean.
3. Sharpening Tools
Most garden tools need to remain razor-sharp to be efficient. A file or sharpening stone are good tools to help achieve this. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific tool you are sharpening to avoid any accidents.
Step-by-Step Guide to Cleaning and Maintaining Garden Tools
Once you have all the tools for the job, you can move on to the cleaning steps. Follow along as we provide a step-by-step guide on how to clean and maintain your garden tools.
- Step 1: Start by using a stiff-bristle brush or wire brush to scrub the surfaces in order to dislodge stubborn particles, dirt, and debris.
- Step 2: Fill a bucket with warm soapy water, or water combined with an appropriate cleaning solution. Soak the tools for 5-10 minutes to loosen any remaining dirt or sap.
- Step 3: Scrub the tools with a scrubber to remove any remaining grime. Use an old toothbrush for crevices and hard-to-reach areas.
- Step 4: Rinse the tools thoroughly with clean water. Make sure to towel-dry or air-dry them to prevent rust.
- Step 1: Inspect your tools to see if the hinges, joints, or blades require lubrication.
- Step 2: Apply a small amount of lubricant to the designated areas and use a cloth or a brush to work it into the moving parts.
- Step 3: Wipe off any excess lubricant with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Step 1: Examine your tools to see which ones need sharpening.
- Step 2: Select the appropriate sharpening tool and follow the instructions down to the T as a safety precaution.
- Step 3: Hold the tool securely and be sure to position the file or sharpening stone at the correct angle. Apply firm and consistent strokes along the cutting edge.
- Step 4: After sharpening, carefully test the sharpness of the tool’s edge by cutting through something or using it as you would when working in your garden. Be cautious to avoid any accidental cuts.
Additional Tips for Maintaining Garden Tools
Follow these additional maintenance tips to extend the lifespan of your garden tools and avoid having to replace them regularly.
1. Store Tools Properly
Besides the cleaning and maintenance processes, proper storage is crucial. Store your tools in a dry and well-ventilated area to prevent moisture buildup, which can lead to rust. Use storage solutions such as hooks or a designated tool rack or shed. Protect your family from sharp edges and blades with tool covers.
2. Inspect and Maintain Regularly
Regularly inspecting your garden tools for any signs of damage, wear, or rust will keep them in good condition. Other than keeping blades sharp and oiled, check handles for cracks or splinters and replace them if necessary.
Use this guide as a means to keep your garden tools in great condition, so that you can keep your garden looking like a dream. Your family deserves a beautiful garden to enjoy every day of the week, and if you’d like to give them that, book a SweepSouth cleaning service.
The outdoor SweepStars whose profiles you can view on our app or website, are experienced enough to give the best in professional care for every inch of your outdoor space. Book today and look forward to a magnificent outdoor view.