Berries, with their vibrant colours and delicious flavours, are a delightful addition to our summer days. In fact, their powerful antioxidant properties make them a great addition to most meals, no matter what season it is.
However, the sweet joy of indulging in these juicy treats can quickly turn sour when a berry inadvertently leaves its mark on your clothing or upholstery. Luckily, they can be eradicated, and we at SweepSouth have the knowledge and cleaning tips to do so. We’re here with a berry stain removal guide that will help you bid adieu to these pesky stains and keep your fabrics looking fresh.
4 Proven Techniques to Remove Berry Stains
1. Pre-treating the Stain
Swift action is your ally when dealing with berry stains. Follow these initial steps:
- Scrape and Shake: Begin by gently scraping off any excess berry or fruit bits with a spoon or the edge of a credit card. Avoid pressing the stain further into the fabric.
- Blot, Don’t Rub: Using a clean, white cloth or paper towel, blot the stain. Avoid rubbing, as it can spread the stain.
2. Cold Water Rinse Method
This method is suitable for most fabrics, but be sure to check the laundry label and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Cold Water Rinse: Immediately rinse the stained area with cold water from the back of the fabric. This helps push the stain out rather than setting it in.
- Apply a Detergent: After rinsing, apply a small amount of liquid laundry detergent to the stain. Gently rub the fabric together to work in the detergent.
- Soak: Let the garment soak in cold water for 30 minutes. Check the stain after soaking.
- Rinse and Inspect: Rinse the fabric with cold water and inspect the stained area. If any stain remains, repeat the process.
- Machine Wash: Wash the garment following the care label instructions, preferably in cold water.
- Air Dry: Ensure the stain is completely gone before using heat to avoid setting any residue.
3. White Vinegar Solution Method
If you’ve never cleaned with vinegar, it’s worth the try! The steps below will help you eradicate berry stains with this powerful natural cleaning solution.
- Create the Solution: Mix a solution of one part white vinegar and three parts cold water.
- Soak the Stain: Submerge the stained area in the vinegar solution for 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse and Check: Rinse the fabric with cold water and check for any remaining stains.
- Machine Wash: Launder the garment, as usual, following laundry label instructions.
- Air Dry: Allow the garment to air dry to ensure the stain is gone before applying heat.
4. Lemon Juice and Salt Method
Lemon juice can help break down berry stains, and salt acts as an abrasive agent.
- Apply Lemon Juice: Squeeze lemon juice directly onto the stain.
- Sprinkle with Salt: Sprinkle a small amount of salt over the lemon juice.
- Rub and Rinse: Gently rub the stained area together, and then rinse with cold water.
- Machine Wash: Wash the garment according to care label instructions.
- Air Dry: Ensure the stain is completely gone before using heat.
With these berry stain removal techniques, you can confidently enjoy your favourite summer fruits without the worry of pesky stains.
If you’re looking for an overall home cleanliness solution that can’t be matched, we are your go-to! As SA’s #1 home services platform, our easy-to-use platform offers a range of cleaning services to keep your home looking its best. Book a SweepSouth cleaning service and enjoy living life like every day is a summer day!