Black Friday is a term that starts entering more and more conversations as the month of November approaches. It’s a time of the year when people get their wallets out and ready themselves for a full day of shopping. Why is this such a popular time of year? The answer to this can be summed up in one word – savings. The unmissable deals usually start at midnight on Thursday, the day before Black Friday, so make sure to have your afternoon nap to not miss out!
If you’d like to know more about this eagerly-anticipated day, we’re here to give you some answers. Wondering what all the hype is about? Not sure what to expect this Black Friday? In this post, you’ll find a breakdown of what to expect this Black Friday, and other answers relating to Black Friday 2022.
What Is Black Friday And Why Is It So Popular?
Black Friday can simply be defined as a day in the year when stores and brands offer sales at highly-discounted prices for a limited time period. It started off as just a single day in the year, normally the last Friday in November, but many companies have now extended their Black Friday sales to last a whole week, sometimes even the whole month of November.
Many people and shopping centres regard it as the start of the Christmas shopping season. This is one of the main reasons for it being so popular, because it gives people the opportunity to save money on most, if not all of their Christmas shopping. Black Friday has grown to become a popular time in South Africa over the years, particularly because the discouraging economic situation makes it difficult for many people to survive comfortably, so it gives the country an opportunity to make the most of fantastic savings.
When Is Black Friday 2022?
The official date for Black Friday 2022, in South Africa and worldwide, is Friday, 25 November.
What To Expect On Black Friday 2022
According to trends from previous years, sales on Black Friday are at their peak from the early morning when stores open, until about midday. That’s not to say that there won’t be queues in the afternoon, the foot traffic will just be more prominent while people are trying to get their favourite products before they sell out. Statistics have shown that, on average, people buy between 4 and 5 products, and spend just under R2 000 on the day.
Now that the Covid pandemic has passed its peak and restrictions have been dropped, you can certainly expect stores to reach their maximum capacity.
Most Popular Shops On Black Friday
Looking at past trends, the shops that will see the most people on Black Friday are Pick ‘n Pay, Checkers, Edgars, Game, Incredible Connection, and Makro. With online shopping becoming increasingly popular, you can also expect the big names in that industry like Superbalist, Zando, Netflorist, and Takealot, to rank high up on the list of most popular brands that you need to keep an eye on this Black Friday.
Tips To Make Black Friday Shopping A Success
With it being such a popular time of the year and a well-attended ‘celebration’, there are bound to be some news headlines resulting from Black Friday. Here are some important tips to make sure your experience is a safe and successful one:
- Plan ahead of time. Making a list of what to buy on Black Friday makes a huge difference. Find out which of your favourite brands are having sales and on what days. With this knowledge in mind, there might be a quieter and preferred day to do the shopping.
- Set out a plan that saves you time. Find the most strategic way to do your shopping based on walking distance and store popularity so that you’re in and out of shopping centres in the quickest time possible.
- Try shopping online if possible. Find all your favourite shops online and bookmark their Black Friday landing pages for quick access to their newsletters. Don’t forget to sign up so that you’re the first to hear about their awesome deals. This will save you the hassle of having to wait in long queues.
- Go shopping with a friend. You’ll more than likely experience some stress and boredom while shopping on this busy day, so having a friend close by will help make the shopping experience easier and more enjoyable.
- Finally, wear a pair of comfortable shoes and remember to stay hydrated.
Now that you know what to expect this Black Friday, you’ll be prepared to face the day and make it a success. Have as much fun as you can and enjoy the opportunity to fill up your trolley or cart at a greatly-discounted price. Share these tips and answers with your friends so that they too can be prepared for the big day. While you’re out and about, book a SweepStar to take care of your house with one of SweepSouth’s expert cleaning services or gardening services.